Rss Feed

love is...

love is patient and kind. love is not jealous or boastful or proud. love does not demand its own way. love is not irritable and it keeps no record of when it has been wronged. it is never glad about injustice but rejoices whenever the truth wins out. love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstance. love will last forever.  -1 corinthians 13

tonight as i got to spend some quality time with my sister, we randomly started talking about relationships. the type of guy we wanted, past relationships. that sorta stuff. well as she's now off to bed i started thinking and began reading 1 corinthians. love, relationships, friendships, random strangers. how do i "love" on a daily basis? talking with her also got me thinking about the type of guy i want when i eventually get into a relationship. so here ya go...

MY STANDARDS
above all, he must be a christian. i want a guy who is a spiritual leader. who will help me to grow stronger in my walk rather than bring me down.
a friend. i want someone who isn't just a guy i like but also my best friend. jenn miller always said that before you get in a relationship with someone you need to be their friend.
confident/independent. i want a guy who is confident in what he believes and independent enough to stick up for it and not follow the crowd.
communication. someone who will listen to me and able to talk with me through the good times and the bad.
kind and compassionate. is kind not just to me but to others and shows compassion
laughter factor. someone who can make me laugh. and laughs along with me, even at my stupid corny jokes
easy-going but not a pushover. someone who can deal with me even in my bad mood and can help me to not treat others like a doormat
r-e-s-p-e-c-t. someone who respects me and my opinion. while we may not agree on everything he respects me enough to hear what i have to say.
family matters. i want a guy who can get along with my crazy wack-a-doo family. to be able to talk with my parents and hang with my sis. 

these are some of the standards i want in a guy. now i also was thinking about the kind of person i want to be. here's some things i came up with:
genuine
kind
an example to others
passionate for Christ
trustworthy
honest
joyful
loving 
unique
independent
sticks to my morals

i want to be the kind of person who is true to herself and isn't defined by those around me. i want to be the woman God has created me, confident in myself. i don't want to be another fad but instead a lasting creation. i want to be one-of-a-kind the way God intended me to be. i want Him to be proud of who i am.

now back to the verse, what is love? am i being an example of love? am i patient and kind, never losing faith? i want to show love but i think i have let it be on my terms rather than how God wants me to love. i pray that i can love the way Christ does, unconditionally. 
how do you "love"?

1 comments:

JULES said...

this is why we're best friends. cause this is something I've been thinking about lately.the concept of love.Do i show Christ's love and do i love like he does? how do i show love to those that it's hard to love? and stuff like that.

i realized that to find a guy who lives up to my standards i need to first live up to them and sometimes i find myself not being that person.

we also need to love without an agenda. you shouldn't show someone love because you want something in return. You should love them because God wants us to love everyone no matter what. I struggle with this a lot.

Love you lots!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!